Point Reyes Station is important for the following reasons.
- It is the community serving the Point Reyes National Seashore and the gateway to Richardson’s Bay.
- It was the home of the Pioneer Paper Company, the first paper mill in the west.
- It was a popular resort stop.
- Oil has bubbled to the surface. It is estimated that the largest oil deposit in the US is below it and the surrounding area.
- It was a stop on the North Pacific Coast RR.
This is a 1920s shot of the Point Reyes Station main street with the Grandi building on the left and the depot on the right.
The following is an early stage track plan for Point Reyes Station. an area is held for Patriot Paper. The oil field is placed on the left side. This plan will be updated as it evolves.